Monday, May 12, 2008

Mikah's birthday party (5/3/08)

I just wanted to "talk" (because it is well past bedtime and everyone is asleep)... about Mikah's party. Today I finally got to look at a load of pictures that a friend (Shannon) took and burned to disk for me to enjoy. I know the party was a blast- for me, for Billy, and of course, Mikah. But seriously, I was so busy I didn't have the time to sit and enjoy myself. I was up the hill and down again trying to get everything from the house to the table and I was busy being a spokes person and a mom and a babysitter, a party planner and a hostess and who knows what else! After Mikah's well played soccer game, my mother in law and I split up- she went to grab the balloons I ordered, and we were off to pick up the cake and sodas. I dropped Billy off at home and he and Mikah grabbed the grill. I hadn't realized on the way to my mother in laws that we needed ice, already on the road, I thought I should do it. With 30 lb Jeremiah in my arms, I marched into 7-11 and opened the freezer. Crazy me thought it much more of a bargain to get 3 bags at 16 lbs than 4 at 10, so i grabbed it ALL and struggled to the counter. I didn't drop anything but I sure was close. I was a Super Mom in a hurry!! I had no time for repeat trips. Though I gave in when it came to carrying everything to the truck!! I took 2 bags and Jeremiah out to the truck and went back for the other- just to find out that Billy was RIGHT behind me and I should have gotten him to do it. We had left Gambrills minutes after 10am and the party was set for noon! Once at my mother in laws it was a mad dash to get everything set up. It was turning out to be a pretty warm day indeed and my sweat was flyin'! Had to get the sodas in coolers, on ice, and down the hill. We had to set up all the tables, chairs and get them covered. We covered the stage, helped set up the music equipment, staked banners, filled water balloons, filled the pinata, put out balloons and braced for impact! Though not in perfect timing. Guests began to arrive thereabout 12:30, 12:45... late, but not late enough, obviously. However, if Shannon and Jason hadn't shown up when they did, the party would have been a bust! Shannon had the patience to untangle a dozen plus balloons and Jason... had the ability to run his mouth to my husband who was ready to brag on his hand made slingshot. What a help! No, they were great! Jason and Shannon started face painting and Tiffany and I began the hair color. Man some of those kids had some bold ideas for color. Austin had a blue mohawk, with pink streaks, and orange sides. After I did Tiff's hair... and she did mine- I was off! The only time I was able to sit was the fifteen minutes it took for me to eat my lunch. But only after getting the karaoke started! Kirsten kicked the party off in grand style singin' Twinkle Twinkle. Every child who attended sang! It was great!! Micah and Luke sang of all things... the Beatles, "Hey Jude". And Mikah's soccer buddy and his younger sister sang "My Girl". Yeah, and there was alot of "Jesus Loves Me". After the wonderfully prepared lunch- courtesy of my Nunny bunny on the grill and both of my mothers' side dishes... oh oh!! I sliced the pineapples!! Go me, GO ME!!! Well... we bashed in the pinata. Of course we started with the youngest. Tyler... he was fun to watch. He is a pretty violent kid. Then again... look at his dad! HA. But we forgot the babies! Jeremiah took a few swings of the bat, thought it was amusing, then said "forget it!" But Vinnie... oh man! Watch out now! A little slugger! He went to T O W N on that pinata! Everyone got a few hits and passed the stick on. I know everyone knows how the pinata works, but this one was special... it was MANUAL. We ghetto rigged it- just another way Shannon and Jason saved the day! Came up with the idea of putting bungy cords (HOWEVER you spell it!) through the center of the four. Whats worse is we didn't have one long enough so we used 2 and hooked them together! Jason and Billy stood on chairs and yanked away on the strings! I think Jason only got hit once. Luckily for my dear hubby, who has experienced this terror before while holding a pinata on a chair, was on the right and most of the kids were right handed- swinging to their left!! After Luke opened it up a bit, the stick was back in Mikah's hands to free the candy from its cardboard prison. The dag on thing was SO full of candy, the kids were picking it up for over 10 minutes! Anyone who has been to a KID party with a pinata knows that there is a feeding frenzy directly following the breaking. The initial excitement was quelled by the over abundance of sweets on the ground. I think they were a little intimidated. And yes, us grown ups had to help distribute to move the process along. FINALLY!! Not a moment too soon, we moved on. Billy brought a 5 gallon bucket FULL of water balloons down the hill and the kids were ready to go wild! Billy and Jason held the well made slingshot while the kids pulled back with all their might, not always remembering to brace themselves before they let go!! The night before, Billy drove around a bit to get an exercise band that would be worthy of a sling shot. He came home, grabbed one of my smaller tupperware containers and a huge roll of duct tape and got busy. You would never be able to tell there is a kitchen container in all that tape! But it held up great! It even survived! And I am sure it will make it to an AWANA near you! After handing over the handle, Jason took a balloon- from FAITH!!- to the gut! A couple of the kids got him REAL good. After all that work, our food had settled enough for cake and ice cream. The wonderful American Idol image on the cake, though it was not perfect, was good enough to please my baby and made good eatin'! The wonderful Shannon got pictures of the cake before it was destroyed. I am so grateful for the pictures she took because I got about 5! Not even one of my own child! Anyway, everyone enjoyed the cake and ice cream, some had to leave, but we dragged on a while more and Mikah got to play a bit with Jason (by himself). Once the guests left, I immediately begin to tear down the mess of the party that was left over in my mother in laws yard. It took some time, but was no where near as bad as having to set up! What was a major curiosity to neighbors and party central to about 10 kids was gone in no time. The only evidence remaining was a few scraps of balloon in the yard. We were exhausted, but overjoyed with the pleasure and happiness that the children experienced. So tonight, when I was able to pop the disk into my computer, sit, and replay the entire series of events from that day, I was brought to a tear or 2. My baby had a blast! And I don't think that one of those kids who attended will ever miss a party that my baby throws- EVER! What seemed would be a simple party- let the kids play, let them sing, paint 'em up, became so much more just because of what some family and some friends contributed to MY sons special day. I saw pictures of the Browns' kids trip prior to their arrival, my husband on the grill, fun face paints and vibrant hair color. Saw a replay of pinata bashing, water balloon shooting, and cake eating. And the closing pic brought the tears to my eyes, as it is now... me and my little Mikah near the end of his party. You know how you can look at yourself in a picture and though you may LOOK like you feel one way, you remember EXACTLY how you REALLY felt? It is one of those pictures for me. I was happy that so many people came out on their Saturday afternoon to bring their child to spend the day with MY son. I was elated by the amount of food prepared and everyones enjoyment of it. I was in awe of all the parents enthusiasm in the activities. I felt truly blessed because God loves me enough to have answered a selfish prayer for good weather! I got to watch my husband being the man that he loves to be- fellowshipping with his brothers in the Lord, feeding many families, improvising to entertain children whom he adores. And I got to see all the smiles on the faces of these children who my baby will grow up with (I hope), that he calls "friends". There was so much joy, so much grace and love... and my face, my flesh just did not have the capacity to display the overwhelming joy of my spirit. Which may I say, set me up for a glorious, very unique weekend where God just showed me His glory! He woke me fresh on Sunday with an uplifted Spirit, led me in His Word to "facilitate" Connections. He cleared my heart so I could wholly worship Him for being the lifter of MY head and there was even enough grace leftover to get through the "Life Together" scene. What a great God! How awesome is His love? That He has LAVISHED upon us! Just throwing this in... I have been in Dueteronomy lately... and Moses directs the Israelities (i believe in 4??) to NEVER forget, never stop talking about the things God has done for them. That they are to tell their children and grandchildren the miracles God has done for them. I have come to the understanding that God is always present in our lives. But it is only by His grace that you may RECOGNIZE His hand in it. And I long to never forget what He has done for me and places He has brought me from. I do believe that there are "spiritual" highs and lows. That they may be based on "emotion" which is the worst thing to base your faith on, but on the other hand, I know that God loves us enough to reveal himself to us. And that weekend, especially Saturday, I tasted a glimpse- of the glory of God... the peace and overwhelming joy that the Spirit brings. Sorry... that is just what that day meant to me. And the "story" that I made of it, is exactly how the day felt. It wasn't just a party. It was an exciting story for my son, for my family. If you could for a moment realize how much I give and put into Jeremiah and know that I am human, I fall short, I cannot give more than I have, you would realize that something may lack in my relationship to Mikah. So this day was a SPECIAL day for me, as a mom who often falls short. That is why I believe God answered my cries. I needed something just for Mikah... and here it was. A clear sky and warm weather, a far cry from the rain they called for!! So I tell you what He has done for me... that I might not forget. And all of this emotion, all of this joy, praise, gratefulness- is behind the mask in our picture together. Thanks for "listening". If you are reading this. I love you... and I cherish your friendship.

No comments:


First day nice enough to go out so Mikah treated Mikah to a ride.

I think he needed someone to scratch his back!

He was an angry silver back!!

See the orangutan climbing the wire over my head! Can't believe I got it!

The lionessess at the DC zoo

2 donkeys at the zoo cleaning each other... or just nibbling

And returning again

Here's that "riding off into the sunset pic" I was talkin about.

My boys. Beautiful weather in MD on 1/8

Daddy redirecting the boys after a wrong turn. One of my favorites of the 3 together.